“This was our Mom’s idea!” The building alternately owned by H.R. Morris in 1838, then Joseph Holmes and James Fulton in 1870, had been run as a general store, post office and trading center. Sadly, when Holmes’ son Lyman O. retired in 1958, the store closed. Though the building remained in the family, it stood vacant for 18 years. Yet, something gnawed at family Matriarch, Doris Holmes.
She knew all too well, just what the store meant to her, to her family, and to the community where they’d built a life. So, Doris took matters into her own hands. And in 1976 Canal Towne Emporium was born and family tradition was re-established.
Doris sought the counsel of local interior designer Gary Eckhart, who removed past attempts to modernize the store and restored it to its original turn of the century atmosphere, using equipment and furnishings from the original store. Doris died in 2004, but her sons Lyman and Gary, the third generation of Holmes’ carry on.